First Church in Belfast, 1819(National Register, Museum in the Streets)
Samuel French, architect and master builder ♦ Federal style with square clock tower, open octagonal belfry surmounted by octagonal cupola with wrought iron weathervane, Palladian window. ♦ The congregation was formed on December 7, 1796 and the building dedicated in November 1818. The church interior is an open plan with a three-sided gallery. Windows have many original glass panes. The Church tower now houses a stealth antenna for a cell phone company.
2. 96 Church Street
William G. Crosby High School, 1923(Museum in the Streets)
Kilham and Hopkins of Boston, architects ♦ Colonial Revival; 3 stories, brick with stone trim, Ionic pilasters. ♦ This school was built on land that was the original Belfast common, a large-open area typical of many New England towns. Boasting state-of-the-art school facilities, it was the pride of the community and used as a school until 1992.
3. 97 Church Street
William Quimby/Dr. John Brooks House, 1855-78
George M. Harding of Boston, architect ♦ Italianate with Stick-style ornaments, vergeboard with incised designs on gable. In 1878 the house was turned 90 degrees, lifted, a new story built underneath, and a Queen Anne side porch added. ♦ William Quimby, a clock maker and local merchant, built the house in 1855. In 1878 Dr. John Brooks, City Physician and Director of the Girls Home, renovated the house.
4. 93 Church Street
Major Timothy Chase House, 1838
Transitional Federal/ Greek Revival; full brick construction with wood and stone trim. ♦ Chase and P.P. Quimby fabricated the clock that the town voted in 1836 to place in the tower at First Church.
5. 87 Church St
Nathaniel Bradbury House, 1824
Federal style with later Italianate window frames and caps, brackets, and other detailing extending to the ell. Note the glass lightning rods. ♦ Mr. Bradbury was a Deputy Collector of Customs for 20 years.
6. 90 Church Street
William Avery House, 1821
Federal style; fan window over door, low hip roof, identical façade on two sides, ell connecting house to barn. ♦ William Avery was a shipmaster and a merchant. When it was built, this was the last house on Church Street, which ended at the town common.
7. 86 Church Street
Horatio Johnson House, 1842
Federal/ Greek Revival style; portico with Doric columns and unusual frieze over the door. ♦ Horatio Johnson was a prominent merchant involved in banking and shipping. He was a State Legislator, and he and his wife, Anne, were founders of the Temperance Society of Belfast. Former Secretary of War, Senator Jefferson Davis stayed in this house on September 2, 1858 when he came to Belfast to review the militia muster.
8. 77 Church Street
Lemuel R. Palmer House, 1839
Simple Cape Cod; center chimney, later door hood and porch. ♦ Mr. Palmer was a well-known shipbuilder whose shipyard was located just above the present bridge. The house was once a tavern.
9. 78 Church Street
Samuel Jackson House, 1826
Cape Cod, with Greek Revival trim details and Queen Anne windows; clapboard siding on the front and rear walls, brick side walls. ♦ Samuel Johnson was a local innkeeper.
10. 40 Pearl Street
James S. Harriman House, 1898(National Register)
Queen Anne style, 2 ½ stories, wood frame with shingle siding, rubble stone foundation. The house has three turrets, one with stain glass leaded upper windows with jeweled embellishments. ♦ Mr. Harriman was a prominent lawyer, active in city affairs, and served as a collector of customs officer.
11. 74 Church Street
James P. White House, 1824
Federal style, with Greek Revival doorway and side porch. ♦ Son of one of Belfast’s earliest settlers, James P. White became one of the most prominent men in the city. As his interests in a shipyard, paper mill, and other businesses flourished, he wanted a grander home and in 1840 built the impressive home at 1 Church Street.
12. 63 Church Street
Hiram Alden House, 1840
Calvin Ryder, Architect
Greek Revival with Italianate side porch and bay windows, shiplap façade and clapboard on the sides, portico with Doric columns supporting a classic entablature that originally had an iron railing. ♦ Hiram Alden was a lawyer and president of the Telegraph Company and the Belfast Lyceum.
13. 58 Church Street
George Pote House, 1875
Italianate; decorative portico, window caps, and bay windows. ♦ Mr. Pote, a Civil War veteran, manufactured men’s vests. Later the house was the Rackliffe Funeral Home.
14. 52 Church Street
John Clark House, 1824
Federal style; clapboard front and rear walls, brick side walls, fan window over door, late Queen Anne style porch with modern columns. ♦ Mr. Clark was an early merchant and ship owner. This house and the Pote house were funeral homes at the same time.
15. 53 Church Street
Daniel Faunce House, 1853
Greek Revival; shiplap siding on façade and clapboards on the side, intricate glasswork around the door, fluted columns on front entry, Doric columns on side porch, later bay window. ♦ Mr. Faunce was well known for his humanitarian efforts to help less fortunate Belfast residents, especially victims of the great fire of 1873.
16. 47 Church Street
William H. Burrill House, 1840
Greek Revival; shiplap siding, porch with fluted Ionic columns, pediment over door. Upstairs gables added in the late 1800s. ♦ This house was constructed for Mr. Burrill, a prominent lawyer who served as a Representative to the Maine Legislature. It was built by ship carpenters who built several other houses in Belfast.
17. 1 Grove Street
William T. Colburn House, 1838-1840
18. 2 Grove Street
John W. White House, 1838-1840
Greek Revival, verandas with Ionic columns; houses, on opposite sides of the street, are almost Identical. ♦ In 1832 Mr. Colburn founded the Colburn Shoe Store on Main Street, which is still in business. John W. White was a Belfast shipbuilder and merchant.
19. 43 Church Street
Dwight Palmer House, 1894
Queen Anne style; corner tower, large decorative veranda, decorative frieze, leaded glass; central chimney serving three fireplaces on the first floor. ♦ Dwight Palmer, a Civil War veteran, was a men’s haberdasher.
20. 41 Church Street
Albert M. Carter House, 1890
Italianate, reminiscent of an Italian villa; pyramidal roof, paired windows, brackets, side bay window. ♦ Mr. Carter, who spent three years in the California gold fields as a young man, established a successful shipping business in Belfast. He shipped hay, potatoes, and produce and conducted a wholesale business handling corn, feed, and flour.
21. 35 Church Street
William T. Colburn House, 1846
Greek Revival; stone window lintels and sills, corbelled brick on eaves, brick corner pilasters, decorative embellishments over front door. ♦ Shoe-store owner Colburn moved to this house from 1 Grove Street in 1843.
22. 38 Church Street
Robert White, Jr. House, 1835-1836
Cape Cod in Greek Revival style; classical Greek Revival pediment, entablature, corner boards, large triglyphs on entry. ♦ In 1829 Mr. White co-founded The Republican Journal newspaper, which continues to be published weekly. He and his brothers owned a shipyard.
23. 36 Church Street
Samuel Hayes House, 1841
Greek Revival; portico with Doric columns, classical entablature. ♦ Mr. Hayes was a druggist who also invented and ingenious method for cutting leather.
24. 32 Church Street
Durham-Hall House, 1887
Italianate; double windows, brackets, decorative elements on porch. The house was rebuilt after a fire in 1886. ♦ This was originally a double house built by Durham & Hall, contractors and builders. Frank Durham and Cyrus B. Hall were partners in an architectural millwork company.
25. 27 Church Street
James H. Spring/ Josiah Simpson House, 1844
Greek Revival; portico with iron balustrade. ♦ In 1855 this house was owned by Captain Josiah Simpson, a noted seaman who had commanded the first vessel to sail from Maine to California during the Gold Rush. The barn was once a livery.
26. 24 Church Street
Peirce School, 1915
Wilfred E. Mansur of Bangor, architect
Italian Renaissance style; two stories, brick with stone trim. ♦ There has been a school on this site since 1811. This elementary school was named for David Peirce, a Belfast merchant, and his wife. The school closed in 2004.
27. 20 Church Street
Charles Giles House, 1850
Greek Revival; brick with stone lintels, large entablature, brick pilasters; modified with a modernized entrance tower with pediment, Italianate bay windows, double door, and porch. ♦ Mr. Giles was Belfast postmaster from 1849 to 1853. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union Army; he died in 1862 at the battle of Baton Rouge and was buried on the plantation owned by President Taylor. The house was also birthplace of Admiral William Veazie Pratt, Chief of U.S. Naval Operations in the 1930s.
28. 16 Church Street
Abraham Noyes House, 1852
Greek Revival; classical entablature, wider than usual proportions. ♦ Albert Gammans, a noted ship captain and merchant, purchased this house in 1864. His daughter, Maude, died in 1928, leaving the house and its contents to St. Margaret Episcopal Church. Which used it as a rectory until 1992.
29. 10 Church Street
William B. Swan House, 1875
Frank Durham of Belfast, master builder
Italianate; entrance tower, double windows, bracketed window trim, later curved porch with incised details, widow’s walk with a view to Castine. ♦ Mr. Swan was president of the First National Bank in Belfast and prominent in other profitable ventures.
30. 6 Church Street
Francis M. Lancaster House, 1864
Italianate, reminiscent of Italian villa; belvedere with finial on roof, pendants on brackets. ♦ Mr. Lancaster went west in the California Gold Rush, returning to Belfast in 1855. He owned a grocery business on Main Street for 52 years, retiring at age 91.
31. 1 Church Street
James P. White House, 1840-1842(National Register, Museum in the Streets)
Calvin Ryder, architect
Greek Revival; shiplap siding, large corner boards, central pavilion, Ionic columns supporting 2-story entablature, cupola and cast iron cresting. Considered one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in Maine. The European Copper Beech tree in the front yard is one of the largest in the state. ♦ Mr. White, who previously lived at 74 Church Street, and his brothers owned a paper mill on Goose River and a shipbuilding yard at the foot of Allyn Street.
32. 34 High Street
Captain Charles H. Wording House, 1852(National Register)
Greek Revival; shiplap exterior, pilasters with classical entablature with cast iron balustrade, unusual Composite columns. ♦ Charles Wording and Henry A. Starrett, a later owner, were Belfast sea captains.
33. 38 High Street
Capt. Ephraim McFarland House, 1799(Museum in the Streets)
Much modified Cape Cod; originally a 2 ½ story house with a square roof with balustrade; in 1925 was renovated in the Greek Revival style and the Colonial Revival style dormers added. ♦ Capt. McFarland was a master mariner involved in the coastal trade. At one time, the house had apartments for Belfast laborers.
34. 44 High Street
Joseph Williamson House, 1844-1845(Museum in the Streets)
Calvin Ryder, architect
Greek Revival; shipboard siding, large 2-story portico with Colonial Ionic columns. The portico was extended and the columns moved forward in 1920to form a port cochere, and wings were added to the north and south sides. ♦ Attorney Joseph Williamson built the house, and his son Joseph Williamson, Jr., attorney and Belfast historian, lived in it after his father died.
The next five houses were built following the destructive fire of August 24, 1873. The fire began near the foot of Main Street and spread southward along the waterfront and up into the residential neighborhoods. It was blamed on sparks from a stove located on a schooner tied to the wharf. The fire was finally stopped on High Street. The area of the fire exceeded 20 acres; 86 buildings were destroyed, including 20 business firms, and 75 families left homeless. The total loss was estimated at $350,000.
35. 39 High Street
Oliver G. Critchett House, 1875
Second Empire; Mansard roof, decorative window caps, porch and bay windows. ♦ Mr. Critchett was a wholesale show manufacturer, doing business as Crichett and Sibley, the first of several shoe companies to occupy a large factory on lower Main Street. Dr. Eugene Taply later lived and practiced medicine in the house, using the third floor as a hospital from c. 1911-1931.
36. 43 High Street
Asa Faunce House, 1875
George M. Harding, architect
Italianate; center dormer with double pitched roof, elaborate entry porch with incised details, bracketed cornice, bay window. ♦ Asa Faunce was active in various commercial businesses and served as President of the Belfast Savings Bank.
37. 47 High Street
Frank B. Mathews House, 1893
Queen Anne; clapboard and shingle siding, octagonal turret, roof balustrade, classic veranda with decorative woodwork. ♦ Frank was the son of Sanford Mathews, one of the three brothers who in 1854 started Mathews Brothers window and door manufacturing business. He ran the business after his father’s death in 1896.
38. 49 High Street
Ellen P. Frothingham House, 1874
Greek Revival; constructed after the 1873 fire in a style similar to the original house, with the addition of Italianate windows and double door. ♦ Rebecca Prentiss, a Frothingham relative, was the only casualty of the fire when she became confused and ran back into the burning house. The burned house was built in 1791 by James Miller, one of Belfast’s first settlers; it was the first two-story house on the west side of Belfast.
39. 55 High Street
Henry Carter House, 1892
Queen Anne with classic features; multiple rooflines, clapboard and shingle siding, extensive decorative millwork, shingles and brackets on the front and side windows, colored glass on porch. ♦ Mr. Carter was a member of a prominent shipbuilding family whose shipyard built over 100 ships that were considered to be the “fastest and prettiest.”
40. 21 Park Street
Stephen S. L. Shute House, 1914
Frederick A. Patterson of Bangor, architect, after a draft design by Gustav Stickley
Foursquare Craftsmen style; wood shingle siding, unusual symmetrical window design. ♦ Stephen Shute was the Belfast fire chief from 1911 to 1923 and the local American Express agent. His wife Helen wrote articles about social events and cultural life for the Republican Journal and other newspapers. Their daughter Elena became Belfast’s first postmistress.
41. 26 Park Street
Henry Lunt Lord House, 1879
Second Empire; decorative roof, cornice trim with window and door caps. ♦ Mr. Lord was a gentleman’s tailor, draper, and seller of home furnishings.
1. 152 Church Street, corner of Church and Anderson
Hutson Bishop, 1824
Federal style; brick construction, entrances on two sides, eight fireplaces. ♦ Bishop was an early trader in Belfast and built the Alfred, the first copper-fastened vessel launched here. Governor Hugh J. Anderson, a later owner, was a merchant, Representative in Congress, and Governor of Maine in 1843. He was the first of two Governors from Belfast.
2. 156 Church Street
Thomas Whitter Tavern, 1801(Museum in the Streets)
Federal style; balustrade and octagonal belvedere, Greek Revival style portico over entrance. ♦ This was the home of Thomas Whittier, innkeeper and member of the Maine Legislature. It was the post office from 1810 to 1813. In 1839 Judge Alfred Johnson purchased the property.
3. 199 High Street
Zacheus Porter House, 1822
Federal Style; two Greek Revival porticos with Doric Columns. ♦ Porter established a law practice after he moved to Belfast in 1813 from New Hampshire. The house later home of Dr. Gustavus Kilgore, co-owner of Dana Sarspirilla Company.
4. 205 High Street
Benjamin Hazeltine House, 1824
Federal style; hip roof, later Italianate style double doors, entry porch, brackets. ♦ Benjamin Hazeltine and his brothers were prominent Belfast merchants who owned a fleet the carried hat from Belfast to Florida.
5. 208 High Street
Charles B Hazeltine House, 1824(Museum in the Streets)
Italianate/ Second Empire style: 2 ½ stories, wood frame with shiplap siding, ornate verge board with finials, door hoods, decorative French crystal windows, clustered chimneys serving eight varicolored marble fireplaces. The house was one of the first in Belfast with indoor plumbing, a hot air coal furnace, and a cistern in the attic. ♦ Charles Hazeltine, whose father Benjamin lived across the street, was one of the original directors of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad Co., a founder of the Belfast National Bank, and a noted sportsman.
6. 212 High Street
R.C. Johnson/ Admiral William Pratt House, 1812(Museum in the Streets)
Federal style with Greek Revival additions made in 1830; paired chimneys, classic entablature, massive portico with Ionic columns rising full height on two sides. It was the first Belfast home to have outside blinds. ♦ Mr. Johnson was prominent in state and municipal government.
7. 213 High Street
Bohan P. Field, 1807(Museum in the Streets)
Federal style; hip roof, classic entrance with fan windows and pilasters. ♦ Mr. Field, born in Massachusetts in 1775, came to Belfast in 1801 with five other early settlers. He established Belfast’s first law practice and became a town leader. Early records describe terraced gardens with a spectacular view of the Passagassawakeag River and Penobscot Bay beyond.