A copper plate lithograph by J. H. Bufford’s Sons, Lithographers, Bostonwhich was commissioned by Joseph Williamson as the fold-out frontispiece for his book, History of the City of Belfast in the State of Maine: From Its First Settlement in 1770 to 1875, volume one.
George Dunbar, Steeple Jack, Belfast, ca. 1920, postcard by M.A. Cook
George Dunbar, Belfast’s steeple jack, atop the Waldo County Court House. You can see the bell in the cupola, both bell and cupola have been removed from the building. The building to the right of the Court House is City Hall. In the early 20th century, it was not uncommon to find Dunbar scaling the larger buildings in town, just for fun.
Belfast Historical Society
View of the corner of Main and Church Street in Belfast, ME circa 1904. This view shows the A.D. Chase sign painted on the side of his building. In 1909 City National Bank which had recently been reorganized from Belfast National Bank (located in the flat iron building across Main Street) purchased the A. D. Chase store to raze it and build a new bank which includes the old bank’s massive concrete & steel vault with William Swan as president and Clement Wescott as head cashier.
Colonial Theater Circa 1935. The Colonial opened on the same day that R.M.S. Titanic departed Southampton on its fateful maiden voyage, April 10, 1912. It burned in a spectacular fire in 1923 and was rebuilt to its current incarnation.
Maine Broiler Day, Belfast, Maine 1949. Belfast’s longest-running festival began in 1948 as Maine Broiler Day This photo is of the 1949 Broiler Day Festival Queen (second festival, first queen) Betty Perry. (name of chicken unknown).
Circus on Main Street Circa 1900. View of a portion (one assumes) of a Circus parade in front of C. F. Thompson’s on Main Street in Belfast: In this view is an Indian elephant. Following the elephant is a Bactrian (two-humped) camel.
Maine Broiler Day, Belfast, Maine 1949. This photo is of one the barbecue pits fashioned of concrete blocks which were used to cook over 3000 lbs of chicken for the second festival in 1949. More than 2000 people flocked to the festival to sample “All you can eat for $1.00”.
The Pendleton Sisters (II) on launch day, Tuesday, October 2, 1906. from the Pendleton Brother’s yard in Belfast. She was christened with roses by Miss Ettie B. Pendleton, one of the five sisters , for whom she was named.