WE’RE HIRING! HELP US FIND OUR NEXT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR:
Our Town Belfast, the Main Street organization at the heart of downtown Belfast, is hiring for the position of Executive Director. This is a great opportunity for a driven individual who loves Belfast and wants to creatively manage many priorities while serving as a passionate and professional representative of Our Town Belfast. You’ll work out of a lovely private office with adjoining meeting and staff space in historic downtown.
Following the proven approach of the National Main Street Center, the Executive Director helps create and manage community-driven efforts in the areas of promotion, design, and economic vitality. You’ll be actively engaged in your community as you collaborate with diverse Belfast stakeholders, including residents, city government, businesses, and other nonprofits to strengthen the local economy and build community in Belfast’s historic downtown. Our Town Belfast is one of ten Main Street organizations in Maine, with several more communities working towards becoming accredited by the National Main Street Center.
This is a full-time salaried position with a flexible schedule. Participation in evening and weekend meetings and events is expected and varies in frequency throughout the year. There will be limited travel representing Belfast’s ongoing success at state and national conferences. Applications will be accepted until the right candidate is found. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Executive Director, Our Town Belfast
Reports to: Chair, Board of Directors
Overview of Responsibilities: The development, coordination, administration, documentation and implementation of Our Town Belfast’s initiative and mission, following the approach of the National Main Street Center:
- Organization: Overseeing the internal operations of the organization by assisting the Board in fulfilling its responsibilities for governance and attracting people and funding to the organization
- Design: Developing guidelines that shape the physical image of downtown Belfast based on its unique assets and architectural heritage
- Promotion: Marketing downtown Belfast’s unique characteristics to shoppers, investors, new businesses, visitors, and others
- Economic Vitality: Strengthening and diversifying the economic base of downtown Belfast
- Administers the office and day to day affairs of the organization, including volunteer supervision and managing a small staff
- Works with board of directors and committees to prepare the annual strategic work plans and related budget
- Grant writing and administration
- Serves as a face of the organization and promotes its activities and programs at meetings, public speaking opportunities, and through the website, publications, and media news releases
- Coordinates the activities of the Main Street Program Committees
- Serves as liaison between the general public and private organizations, including downtown stakeholders, local government officials, and local/regional economic development entities
- Provides accurate, timely communications and reports to the board, committees, downtown stakeholders, financial contributors, volunteers, and the Maine Downtown Center
- Researches and prepares materials to support program, promotion, and fundraising activities
- Acts as a resource to individual tenants or property owners regarding physical improvements and the maintaining of historic integrity
- Responds to inquiries from business prospects and the general public
- Coordinates educational and training opportunities for board members, committees and volunteers
- Maintains knowledge of Main Street programs and/or initiatives by establishing a working relationship with other Main Street Maine Executive Directors
- Attends National, Regional, and State conferences and training sessions
- Develops strategies for downtown economic development and historic preservation
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.